Explore a surreal sight on a walk discovering geysers, natural pools and minerals in surprising colours. A guaranteed change of scenery!
The vast geothermic park of Wai-O-Tapu is located 20 minutes from Rotorua. Three important trails succeed each other and cover the entirety of this unique area. At your own pace, discover the different spots of geothermal activity, the colourful landscapes and the flora that exists in this landscape.
Along these 3 long trails, you will see a number of natural sites including:
- The Lady Know Geyser: this imposing geyser erupts every day at 10:15am!
- The bubbles of the largest mud pool in New Zealand
- The Artists Palette: as water extends over the banks of this pool, the temperature lowers as does its colour
- The champagne pool: it gets its name from its champagne colour and the bubbles produced by carbon dioxide that is diffused in a -74° C on the surface of the water
- 700 year old craters (and older!) like the “Falcon’s Nest”, “Devil’s Bath” and the Ngakoro crater and its green lake
For the more curious and brave among you, you can make your way to a belvedere from which you can observe the Ohaaki Power Station, Kaingaroa Forest, the different blue and green lakes that dot the landscape, Sulphur Mount and Alum cliffs. The trail continues to Bridal Veil Falls and Wai-O-Tapu Geyser.